Skip to main content

Market Traders Insurance

Focus on selling your wares without worrying whether you have the necessary cover in place to protect your business.

As an insurance broker, we’ll help you work out what market traders insurance you need, search our selection of insurers and gather suitable market trader insurance quotes. Then once you’re happy with a suitable policy, we’ll get your cover set up – no stress, no fuss.

Your market trader insurance requirements will vary depending on the type of trading you do and the products you sell. We have a wide range of covers available for you to choose from, so contact us to find out more.

You Could Save Over 30%*

Contact our team to receive a no obligation, instant quote today.

Get in Touch

Why Market Traders Insurance is Important

If you run a stall, either in a permanent location or a pop-up there are many risks to consider. Markets can be busy places and accidents can happen, for example if a member of the public trips on part of your stall, an unattended item, or cable you could be liable for any injury they suffer or any damage caused. Similarly, if you accidentally damage another trader’s products or stall, market trader public liability insurance can cover the costs you incur. It’s also likely that if you’re renting a stall or space in a venue, you will be required to have the right liability insurance in place.

Depending on what you sell, your products could have the potential to cause harm to your customers. For example, handcrafted objects could be sharp and cause injuries, or cosmetics could cause irritations or even illness. Product liability insurance can protect your business and cover the costs if your customers bring a claim against you. Even if you only sell your products at certain times of the year, like at Christmas, it’s important to have cover all year round, because your cover needs to be in place when the injury or damage occurs, not just when you sold the product.

If your usual venue is closed, and you can’t sell to your customers, business interruption insurance could cover your loss of earnings for days you're unable to trade. This means you can get your business back up and running when you are able to. Another risk that could stop you trading is losing your stock or tools. Any stock, raw materials, tools or machinery should be covered by contents and stock insurance whether in storage, at your home or when you’re out at markets or fairs.

If you have any employees that help you produce your stock or sell your products at markets and events, you are legally required to have employers liability insurance. Another cover you may want to consider is theft of takings. You may be taking many payments as cash, so ensuring this is protected whether you’re on the move or if it’s secured at home is vital.

Without the right insurance in place, recovering from a claim or loss is down to you. A market traders insurance policy, tailored to your needs protects you, your business, your staff, and your customers, so you can focus on running your business.

Market Trader Van Insurance

If you use a vehicle to transport your goods between venues, you may need commercial vehicle insurance. This provides cover for your vehicle, and products as you travel between markets, should you have an accident and your goods are damaged or destroyed.

Get Market Traders Insurance

We will make light work of finding you the right market trader insurance quote at the right price. We know you’re busy, so we’ll provide advice and search for the insurance you need, so you don’t have to. This will leave you to focus on your business and continue trading knowing you’re well protected. Contact us now.

In addition to market traders insurance, smei also provides tailored shop insurance.

* Please click here to view our pricing disclaimer.

** Standard and optional cover may differ dependent upon insurer.

Frequently asked questions

Not having adequate insurance for your jewellery shop could be a false economy and could result in unforeseen costs in the event of a claim. Therefore, it makes sense to match your insurance protection to your specific requirements when taking out your policy, leaving you with peace of mind that a potential claim won't damage your business.

Each jeweller has varying needs of protection. For example, your shop may sell a range of gold, silver and precious stones. Why not speak to one of our advisers and let them know your requirements, and we'll look for a suitable policy for you.

The cost of your insurance policy depends entirely on your needs. Our flexible policies can be adapted to fit your requirements and your budget too. For example, multiple options may be available from our panel of insurers - each with different features and prices. We will find you several possibilities so you can make an informed decision on which option is best for you.

As members of the public filter in and out of your jewellery shop, public liability insurance is essential. This cover will protect you if a shopper has an accident whilst in your shop or their property is damaged as a result of you or your employee's negligence. Employers liability insurance will protect you if an employee becomes injured or seriously ill as a result of working for you. For jewellery shops, stock insurance should be a high priority. Without your stock, you wouldn't have much of a business to run. Expensive jewellery is often a prime target for thieves, therefore this type of cover protects you if your stock is damaged, lost or stolen and needs replacing. It can also be increased around key dates when you may sell goods that are more expensive or exclusive than usual, such as Christmas.

The optional cover available depends on the type of shop you own. For example, shops that sell food will need to pay close attention to the frozen food section of their policy to ensure the cover is adequate enough. Otherwise, they may need to investigate more comprehensive cover. If you own your shop premises then you will need buildings insurance to protect your bricks and mortar. If you rent your premises, check with your landlord to see if your building is covered. We can arrange flexible policies that match your needs. All you have to do is tell us what you'd like covered and we'll do our best to ensure that it happens at a competitive price.

We cover all sorts of shops including grocers, off licenses, pet shops, clothes shops and florists. If you're unsure whether we cover your trade, just get in touch and our team will be happy to help.

As you constantly have members of the public filtering in and out of your shop, public liability insurance is crucial. This will protect you if a member of the public is injured or their property is damaged on your premises. Your contents and stock are your livelihood so it's also important to protect them. Contents insurance protects your goods in the case of theft, damage or devastation such as fire and floods. Financial protection ensures that cash on your premises is safe. If you have employees you are required by law to have employers liability insurance. This protects you if an employee becomes injured or seriously ill at work. Finally, you may want to consider business interruption cover. Business interruption cover will protect you in the event that your shop is closed due to damage, helping you to continue to pay your expenses whilst you're closed and cover loss of earnings.

The cost of your policy depends on your needs. Our policies are flexible and can adapt to fit your requirements. So whether you're a small village shop or a large, out-of-town retailer we can match you with the required policy. For example, multiple options may be available from our panel of insurers - each with differing features and prices. We will present you with the possibilities so you can make an informed decision on which option is best for you.

Yes, but the amount varies between policies, so please call us for more details.

You Could Save Over 30%*