Skip to main content

Food Business Insurance

We're Here to Help With Your Food Business Insurance 

From restaurants to busy takeaways, outside catering to manufacturing and supplying retailers, whatever type of food business you run, you face various daily risks. 

We understand you strive to deliver great service—often in pressurised, busy environments. The rewards of running your food business can be amazing, but things can go wrong. When they do, you need to know you have protection that gives you peace of mind, so you can focus on pleasing your customers with your culinary delights.  

Here at smei, we can arrange cover that protects your food business. We have a panel of carefully selected leading UK insurers that offer a menu of small food business insurance that can be adapted to suit your needs. 

How our Food Business Insurance Experts can Help

Our team of experienced advisers has a hunger to understand your food business and work out the protection you need. 

Whether it's a customer tripping on a loose tile, a member of staff slipping in the kitchen, or a fire in the store room wiping out all your stock, accidents and injuries can happen—even with robust measures in place to manage these risks.

Imagine the impact on your business if a customer claims your food has given them food poisoning. The financial consequences and reputational damage could be devastating.

We're here to arrange insurance that can cover your risks, including product and public liability insurance for food businesses, employers liability, buildings, contents, and stock. This essential insurance will cover compensation claims and any associated legal costs defending your claim.

You Could Save Over 30%*

Contact our team to receive a no obligation, instant quote today.

Get a Quote

What can Food Business Insurance Cover?

Public and product liability—if someone is injured or their property damaged due to your business.

Employers liability—should a staff member become ill or injured when working. This insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.

Contents insurance—covers your essential equipment such as fridges, food storage or display units and cooking apparatus from accidental damage, including fire, floods or theft. 

Stock insurance—protection if your fridge breaks or a flood destroys your food. Your stock will also be covered while in transit.* 

Business interruption—protects your income if you're faced with a situation that prevents you from dishing up; your cooker breaks down or your premises are flooded, for example.

*Unfortunately, at this time, we cannot offer insurance quotations for food deliveries.

* Please click here to view our pricing disclaimer.

** Standard and optional cover may differ dependent upon insurer.

Frequently asked questions

The cost of insurance for home food businesses depends on individual needs. Our small food insurance policies are flexible and can be adapted to fit your requirements. Whether you run a 'one-person operation' or a small catering firm, we can match you with the right policy at the right price.

As a business providing food to the public, you'll adhere to the relevant health, safety, and food production measures, but things can still go wrong. You need public liability insurance to cover you if, for example, someone has an allergic reaction to your food and they make a claim against you. Home food business liability insurance isn't a legal requirement. Still, it can cover the costs of any compensation due and legal fees associated with claims.

You Could Save Over 30%*