Skip to main content

Business Buildings and Contents Insurance

Join our family of small business owners who have comprehensive cover at a competitive price from insurance experts.

Commercial Building Insurance for Small Businesses

Just like you have insurance for your house and contents, any property where your business operates needs to be protected with commercial buildings insurance and contents insurance.

Commercial buildings and contents insurance will help you get things back to normal if your business premises, contents or stock get damaged, lost or stolen.

Key Features and Benefits

  • Single, flexible policy - tailor made to suit your requirements.
  • Expert advice to explain your cover.
  • No mid-term amendment fees should you need to make a change.
  • On-hand support throughout the life of your policy via your dedicated adviser.
  • Receive a lump sum to replace your equipment.
  • Access to a 24-hour legal helpline.
  • Flexible payment options including direct debit.
  • Access to documents anytime, anywhere via our secure portal.

Get commercial property cover now

Join thousands of other smart business owners today.

Get a Quote

What is Business Buildings and Contents Cover?

Buildings cover can protect your business property against damage and contents insurance can cover the costs to replace or repair items in your business premises.

What's Insured?

Please note this list is not exhaustive, check your policy wording for full details.

Buildings insurance – protection for your commercial building in the event of:

  • Fire, lightning, explosion or earthquake.
  • Riot or civil disturbance or malicious acts.
  • Storm damage.
  • Subsidence.
  • Flood.
  • Escape of water.
  • Accidental damage.

Buildings insurance can include:

  • Cover for break-ins and criminal damage including replacement of broken glass, plus any boarding-up costs.
  • Cover for reasonable costs incurred in locating the source of damage resulting from escape of water or oil as a result of an insured event.
  • Replacement locks if keys (including digital cards) are stolen – (please refer to your policy wording for limits that may apply).
  • Protection against loss of metered water – (please refer to your policy wording for limits that may apply).
  • Repair and rebuild costs to the building.

Contents insurance – even if you don’t own the building, you should consider protecting the contents within it. These would include fixtures, fittings, furnishings and stock. If you run a high street shop, you may want to protect your glass counters for example.

Contents insurance can include:

  • Cover for personal items belonging to employees or visitors.
  • Replacement of broken glass.
  • Cover for any damaged contents in windows, displays and sanitaryware.
  • Protection for trade stock.

Electronic equipment insurance – technology is likely to play a vital role in the running of your business. If you rely on equipment like laptops and cash registers, make sure you have electronic equipment cover to offer you peace of mind.

Electronic equipment insurance can include:

  • Cover for portable items if taken off the business premises.
  • Protection against unauthorised use of your mobile phone up to £250 (subject to two claims in any period of insurance).
  • Cover for the cost of recreating your business records, computer records, plans and designs, up to £10,000.

What is Not Covered?

  • Acts of terrorism.
  • Damage caused by general wear and tear.
  • Losses when the property is left unoccupied for more than 30 days.

Public liability insurance

Buildings insurance offers protection for your building, but it wouldn't cover you if a member of the public is injured whilst on your premises. Public liability insurance cover will help protect your business reputation and the cost of legal claims that people may make against you.

As a broker, we access a panel of insurers, and therefore the limits and amounts included in each policy may differ per provider. Please refer to your policy wording if you need to clarify your details.

* Please click here to view our pricing disclaimer.

** Standard and optional cover may differ dependent upon insurer.

Unsure as to whether you need buildings and contents insurance?

Call us on 0330 1626 796 to discuss what kind of cover you need, our friendly team is always happy to help.

We're Here For You...

Want some free advice and expert guidance to help grow and protect your business?

  • Access our free business insurance check (are you sure you’ve got the right cover?).
  • Download 'how to' guides for boosting success.
  • Hear from other business owners like you.
  • Set renewal reminders and calculate staff turnover costs.

Your Success = Our Success.

  • We’ve been helping protect businesses like yours since 2002.
  • Access to A-rated insurance companies in the UK.
  • We search the market for you to save you valuable time.
  • Genuinely affordable pricing with no hidden fees.
  • Deep expertise on hand when you need it.

Want to know more about us and how we wouldn't exist without you?

Business Buildings and Contents Insurance FAQs

The cost of your buildings and contents insurance really just depends on the size and type of property and how many contents you want to cover on your policy. It’s best to discuss your requirements with a broker who can tailor a policy for you. It is often cheaper to cover both buildings and contents on one combined policy.

Both of these are technically the same but they may be used in different scenarios. Business buildings and contents insurance is likely to be used to cover businesses' own assets, whereas commercial property insurance is more likely to be used for landlords that own and lease commercial properties.

Business contents insurance covers your business equipment and stock inside the building.

Employers liability insurance, product and public liability insurance, professional indemnity insurance, personal accident and business interruption are often considered the most important covers for small business owners.

You Could Save Over 30%*