Skip to main content

Pub Insurance

Join our family of public house owners and managers who get comprehensive insurance coverage for their pub businesses at a competitive price.

Flexible Insurance for Pubs

As a landlord you understand just how many risks and challenges your pub faces on a daily basis. There’s so much to consider, from the safety of your staff and customers, to maintaining your stock and suppliers. Arranging the right pub liability insurance against these risks can often cause a headache and therefore fall to the bottom of your list.

Smei is passionate about championing the UK pub industry and businesses like The Bow-Legged Beagle in New Brighton, Wirral (pictured above). That’s why we make sure your business is protected against risks so you can concentrate on running your pub.

Because we’re a broker, we have access to flexible pub insurance quotes and policies from a selection of UK insurers. This means you can pick and choose which types of cover you need to protect your business. We can help to arrange an all-encompassing public house insurance policy that provides protection for the risks you face.

Whether you run a family-friendly country pub or a lively city bar, we can arrange a bespoke pub insurance policy to suit you.

Key features and benefits

  • Premiums from as little as £1,093.00.*
  • Quotes from a panel of A-rated insurers.
  • Single, flexible policy — tailor-made to suit your requirements.
  • Dedicated adviser throughout your policy.
  • No mid-term amendment fees should you need to make a change.
  • Access to a 24-hour legal helpline.
  • Flexible payment options including direct debit.
  • Access to documents anytime, anywhere via our secure portal.

Get a pub insurance quote now

Get a tailored pub business insurance policy today.

Get a Quote

What Type of Pub Insurance do You Need?

Some types of business insurance are a legal requirement for pub owners, but your pub insurance cover requirements will vary depending on your business model. Additionally, considering the critical role of alcohol sales in many pubs, securing loss of licence insurance is essential. It can help protect against the financial repercussions and operational challenges of losing the ability to sell alcohol due to licence issues.

Public liability insurance

All pubs require public liability cover in the event that somebody is injured or property is damaged as a result of your negligence. Both carry an increased risk when people are under the influence of alcohol.

Employers liability insurance

If you have any employees, it’s your responsibility to have employers liability insurance cover in case they’re injured or fall ill as a result of working for you.

Stock insurance

Pub stock is valuable and an attractive target for criminals, so you need protection from theft, as well as accidental damage from perils such as fires and storms.

Business interruption insurance

In addition, you may need cover in the event of business interruption, in case you lose your liquor licence or your pub was flooded for example.

Buildings and contents insurance

It’s also a good idea to have cover for your pub’s business premises and contents, including all fixtures and fittings. If you own your own pub, you’ll also require buildings cover, although if you have a leasehold or tenancy arrangement this depends on the nature of your contract.

You Could Save Over 30%*

Contact our team to receive a no obligation, instant quote today.

Platinum Trusted Service Award Winners 2024

Premiums from as little as:


In the past 12 months our customers have paid as little as £1093 per annum for pub insurance insurance. That’s just £21 per week!

50% of our pub insurance customers paid less than £2026 per annum.***

* Please click here to view our pricing disclaimer.
** Standard and optional cover may differ dependent upon insurer.
***Data compared from 316 policies sold in 2023. 66 customers paid £1,093 or less, which represents 21%. £21 per week is based on the annual premium divided by 52 weeks. However, paying monthly is usually more expensive as you'll pay interest. Amounts are rounded up or down to the nearest £1.


We're Here For You...

Want some free advice and expert guidance to help grow and protect your business?

  • Access our free business insurance check to make sure you have the right cover. 
  • Download 'how to' guides for boosting success.
  • Hear from other business owners like you.
  • Set renewal reminders and calculate staff turnover costs.

Your Success = Our Success

  • We’ve been helping protect businesses like yours since 2002.
  • Access to A rated insurance companies in the UK.
  • We search the market for you.
  • Genuinely affordable pricing with no hidden fees.
  • Deep expertise on hand when you need it.

Want to know more about us and how we wouldn't exist without you?

Frequently asked questions

Some types of insurance may be a legal requirement. Others may not be compulsory, however not having the right insurance for your business could be a false economy. For example, if you don't have the necessary protection in place and an incident occurs, you could be liable to pay costs or compensation. Therefore, it makes sense to match your insurance protection to your requirements. This should provide you with peace of mind that a claim won't be damaging to your business should the worst happen.

The cost of your insurance policy depends on your needs. Our flexible policies can be tailored to fit your requirements and your budget too. For example, multiple options may be available from our panel of insurers – each with different features and prices. We’ll find you several possibilities to ensure you have all the information you need before deciding on the best option for you.

Pubs often provide more than just food and drink facilities. You may host parties, wedding receptions, or have guestrooms available for short stays. Whatever your requirements, talk to one of our insurance specialists and we’ll be able to arrange an appropriate policy for your business.

In general, you should consider business interruption cover to protect you against unexpected loss of income. If you own your building, buildings insurance will provide cover for the rebuilding cost of your premises should an incident occur that is covered under your policy.

You need two types of licence to run a pub: a premises licence and a personal licence. But you need to meet certain criteria first. Read our full article: "How do I get a pub licence" to find out more.

Pub freeholders are responsible for ensuring their policies are appropriate and up-to-date, while leaseholders may only be responsible for the contents. This is all detail that needs to be known when discussing your requirements with a broker.

Quotes from well-known and specialist insurers, including:

You Could Save Over 30%*