With 46% of all Google searches looking for local information if you’re running a small business, this channel presents opportunities to promote your business locally, attract visitors to your website and boost sales.
If you’re asking yourself, ‘How do you get my business found on Google?’ we’ve put together some valuable tips to get you started.
What is Google My Business?
Google My Business is an essential tool to make your business visible in local Google searches.With a Google My Business Account, you get a free business profile that ‘lets you easily connect with customers across Google Search and Maps’.
Because Google My Business’s search results are organised around specific locations, when someone – a potential customer – looks for a product or service in their area, they’re presented with a list of businesses local to them.
How to set up Google My Business
Setting up a profile is simple. First, you need a Google account to submit your business profile. You’ll be asked to include information about your business and where you’re located.
When writing your business description, make sure you make it SEO-friendly. In other words, include the keywords and phrases you want your business to be recognised by. Think about what your customers would use to search for your products or services.
Once you’ve completed this stage, Google will need to verify your business is where you say it is. There are three verification options:
- Postcard – a verification postcard will be sent to the address you entered. Once received, you enter the code in your account to verify the business.
- Phone – You’ll receive an automated message with a verification code that you’ll then need to enter into your account.
- Email – a similar process to the phone verification, you’ll receive a code to the email account linked to your Google My Business listing.
Your listing should now be live.
Making the most of your Google My Business listing
Where your business appears in searches will mainly depend on where it’s located in relation to the area someone specifies in their search. However, Google also favours profiles that have attracted previous engagements; the more people engage with your profile, the higher your business will appear in results.
This is where customer reviews come in. It’s no surprise that positive reviews will positively impact making your listing more prominent. Encourage customers to leave feedback when they’ve had a good experience with your business.
Google My Business Management
It’s essential to keep your profile up to date, particularly your contact details. 80% of consumers lose trust in local businesses if they see incorrect or inconsistent contact details or business names online, so always ensure these details are the same across your digital channels: website, social media and your Google My Business listing.
As with your website, make your profile visually appealing and engaging by using lots of professional images. Avoid stock imagery – this is an excellent opportunity to showcase the actual products you sell. Include interior and exterior shots as well as pictures of your products and staff.
In addition to your Google My Business profile, there are other ways to make sure Google is aware of your business:
- Use keywords and phrases in your website, and keep it up to date by uploading fresh content regularly.
- Use your social media channels to engage with followers, not just to promote or sell your products or services. Always reply to comments on social media, respond to reviews and communicate with your followers. They’ll appreciate the acknowledgement and will be more inclined to share their experience with another potential customer.
- Register your business with other reliable local online directories such as Yelp or Small Business Local.
So now you know how to increase your following online. It shouldn’t stop there though. Be sure to check and update your content regularly. In return your web presence can help you attract new customers.
You Could Save Over 20%*
Contact our team to receive a no obligation, instant quote today.
* Please click here to view our pricing disclaimer.
Quotes from well-known and specialist insurers, including: