personal accident banner image

Personal Accident Insurance

Join our family of small business owners and sole traders who get comprehensive business insurance cover at a competitive price.

Personal Accident Insurance for Small Business Owners

If you suffer an accident that leaves you unable to work, would you be able to cover your bills and business expenses?

Personal accident cover can provide a lump sum or financial support in the event of accidental death, permanent and total disablement, loss of limb or loss of sight. Cover can also be extended for temporary, partial or total disablement for up to 12 months.

Personal accident insurance cover comes in three levels:

  • Employment.
  • Employment including commuting.
  • 24 hours cover, which includes incidents inside and outside working hours as well as cover for incidents that occur whilst undertaking amateur sports.

The policy can pay out a lump sum agreed by you with the insurer or a multiple of your salary.

(In order for cover to be valid, you must be off work for at least the qualification period and be signed off work by a doctor).

Key Features and Benefits of our Personal Accident Insurance Policies

  • Affordable cover that suits you.
  • Receive a lump sum or income replacement to cover your outgoings.
  • Cover for your medical expenses.
  • Expert advice to explain your cover.
  • On-hand support throughout the life of your policy.

Get personal accident insurance now 

Join thousands of other protected business owners today.

What's Covered?

  • Accidental injury.
  • Accidental death.
  • Permanent total disability.
  • Quadriplegia.
  • Paraplegia.
  • Permanent loss of sight in one eye or both eyes.
  • Permanent loss or use of one limb.
  • Permanent loss of speech.
  • Permanent loss of hearing in one or both ears.

Cover extensions

You can choose to extend your cover to include:

  • Burns.
  • Hospitalisation.
  • Major fractures.
  • Dislocation.
  • Some of our insurers allow you to purchase business travel alongside your personal accident policy.
  • Weekly benefits can be available for temporary, permanent or partial disablement.

The fixed amounts paid for specific injuries may differ by provider under your personal accident policy. An income protection policy pays a percentage of your income each month.  Please check your policy documentation or speak to your adviser.

What is Not Covered by Personal Accident Insurance?

Public Liability

While personal accident insurance covers you against accidents and injuries at work, it doesn't cover other people. Public liability insurance covers you for any injury or damage to third parties.

Employers Liability Insurance

Personal injury cover doesn’t cover illness and injuries for your employees. Employers liability insurance is a legal requirement for anyone employing staff, including volunteers, and if you are a limited company.

Your Property and Equipment

You should consider tools and equipment cover for the cost of repair or replacement should you need to make a claim for loss or damage to your own property and equipment, as a result of your business activities or an accident.

Payment Protection Insurance

Payment protection insurance is not the same as personal accident insurance. This protection is there to cover your payments if you have an accident, become sick or unemployed.

Unsure what personal accident cover you need?

Call us to discuss what kind of cover you need, our friendly team is always happy to help.

smei - hardening market

We're Here For You...

Want some free advice and expert guidance to help grow and protect your business?

  • Access our free business insurance check to make sure you have the right cover.
  • Download 'how to' guides for boosting success.
  • Hear from other business owners like you.
  • Set renewal reminders and calculate staff turnover costs.
your success image

Your Success = Our Success.

  • We’ve been helping protect businesses like yours since 2002.
  • Access to A-rated insurance companies in the UK.
  • We search the market for you to save you valuable time.
  • Genuinely affordable pricing with no hidden fees.
  • Deep expertise on hand when you need it.

Want to know more about us and how we wouldn't exist without you?

Personal Accident Insurance FAQs

Personal accident cover provides compensation when you, or anybody insured under the policy is seriously injured or dies in an accident at work. Personal accident insurance is designed to provide financial compensation in the event of serious injury or death caused by an accident. It can cover things like medical expenses and lost income – the amount it pays out depends on the level of cover you buy.

It’s not a legal requirement and taking out personal accident cover is purely down to personal choice. It’s typically taken out by self-employed business owners who may need cover for a period of loss earnings to help pay business expenses.

You should consider:

  • If you have enough savings to cover you if you’re out of work for an extended period of time.
  • Do you have any other income protection policies?
  • If the worst happens and you don’t survive an accident, do you have adequate life insurance?
  • The amount of cover you will require depends on your financial circumstances such as your regular income and any outgoings.
The cost for your personal accident insurance will depend on your particular policy and your individual requirements. Your broker will talk you through the options. Personal injury cover typically pays a fixed amount of money for specific injuries. Whereas personal accident pays a lump sum if you suffer serious injuries or die. In most cases claims are paid as a lump sum after the compensation amount is settled. If the accident results in death, the beneficiaries of the policy would receive a one-time lump sum payment. No, personal accident insurance is not a tax deductible business expense unlike public liability or professional indemnity insurance, so you won’t be able to deduct it from your taxes.
You Could Save Over 30%*