Running a pub or restaurant comes with a number of unique challenges and trade risks, so having comprehensive business insurance is essential to protect your livelihood.

But with so many things to consider, how do you know what cover you require?

Here’s a quick rundown of the main types of insurance cover you need for your pub or restaurant.

Public Liability

A delivery driver slipping on a wet kitchen floor or a customer tripping on a broken step could result in a personal injury claim worth thousands, and leave you facing potentially ruinous costs.

Public liability insurance covers compensation and any legal costs.

Employers Liability

The chances are you’ll probably employ others in your pub or restaurant. If so, it’s your responsibility to buy employers liability; without it, not only are you leaving you and your business hugely exposed but you are also breaking the law.

Employers liability protects you if a member of staff is injured or becomes ill as a result of working for you. It covers compensation and legal costs.

Contents and Stock

If your pub is damaged or destroyed by fire, theft or storm, this cover would replace the food, drink, fixtures, fittings and furniture so you could resume trading as quickly as possible.


Your building is one of your most important assets. Building insurance means your building will be rebuilt or repaired in the event of theft, fire or storm damage and it could also cover problems with subsidence.

If you have a tenancy or leasehold, the property owner may cover this.

Business Interruption

Business interruption protects you if a serious event, such as a fire or flood, leaves you unable to trade. This covers your loss of income so you can still pay your bills until you’re ready to resume trading.

Loss of Money

Pubs and restaurants are still largely cash-based venues and you could end up with significant amounts of cash on your premises, especially over a bank holiday weekend. You need adequate cover for money, both in a safe and outside such as in your till, not to mention cover when you take your hard-earned cash to the bank.

Loss of Licence

Losing your liquor licence could be catastrophic for your business; without it you’ll be unable to sell alcohol. Depending on the circumstances, loss of licence cover helps to compensate for some of your losses while you get back on track.

Specialist Broker for Pub and Restaurant Insurance

With a wide variety of different business models in the pub and restaurant industry, there’s much to consider when it comes to business insurance. It’s recommended that you seek the advice of a specialist insurance broker with detailed knowledge of the trade.

A specialist broker will be able to advise you on the correct level of cover for your business, which depends on the type of running arrangement you have, and if you hold a freehold or leasehold tenancy, they will liaise to ensure there is no duplicate cover nor gaps in your insurance.

Log your renewal
Need a reminder?
Latest News from SME

Pubs in Decline: How to Engage Customers and Save Your Pub

How Restaurant, Bars and Cafes can Help Reduce the World’s Plastic Pollution

Of the billions of tonnes of plastic made since it came in to mass use in the mid-1900s only 9% has been recycled and 12% incinerated.

Celebrating St Patrick's Day: Insider Tips and Unusual Facts

St Patrick's Day is a traditional Irish festival which celebrates the patron saint of the Emerald Isle. However, it’s not just celebrated in Ireland…

World Book Day Competition Winners

From fictional heroes, heroines, and animals to real life literary characters we were looking to find the best World Book Day 2018 outfits.

Quotes from a panel of UK Insurers